Remember this time last year when we were full of hope for what 2020 will bring? Well it has certainly been a challenging year for many who will be happy to see the end of 2020 and welcome 2021 with open arms.
But before we head into a new year, now is definitely a great time to review the goals you made for 2020. Think about the goals you reached, the successes you had, the struggles you encountered and what you did to overcome them. Who knows, there might also be an opportunity to tackle a few more goals within the next few weeks.
More importantly, it’s about time to get moving on your goals for 2021!
It takes time to plan goals and build new routines. Think about it in terms of building a house. If you were going to build a house, you wouldn’t start preparing the day before! You would have done your research, secured the builder, organised your funds, discussed plans and signed the building contract in advance before the build commences.
Planning goals ahead of time can also help you cope when life throws you a few curveballs along the way. As we have certainly seen this year, we cannot always control or predict our lives but, we can learn to be flexible, allow some room to adapt and use these challenging moments to redefine and support our goals.
Always ensure you set SMART goals!
SMART goals are:
- Specific – What is your goal? Is it specific enough or is it too broad? What needs to be done for you to achieve your goal? Why do you want to reach your goal?
- Measurable – How can you measure your progress? How will you know if you’re on track?
- Attainable – Can your goal actually be achieved?
- Realistic/relevant – Can you achieve your goal? Is the goal worth it?
- Time – What’s your time frame for reaching your goal?
As we travel through life, we must also remember to celebrate our achievements and successes as each goal is reached!